Skip to main content

FOUND IN LOST

So Abdul woke me up by 6 this morning. He said,
"Musa, Musa. Let's go and play. "
I have been eagerly awaiting this moment for days. Just last week, I was a regular beggar at Mariri until I met Abdul. In my usual manner, I walked up to him and asked for some notes for breakfast. He had sized me up with his tiny eyes which were obscured by his dusty and long lashes before giving me a hundred naira note.
He walked away, then, walked back.
I remember him asking my name and age. I replied, not that I knew my exact age, for I only knew the day I left home to beg and lost my way.
We talked at length about things I cannot remember now,  and then, he put me in his car and told me to wait.
.....
"Shehu, Shehu. Let's go and play, " he told the other boy beside me.
We both got up and went outside. Abdul had brought us home on the same day and never stopped telling us about the game of luck that we were about to enjoy.
We got in his car and Abdul began driving. I am not really good with numbers and time but I know that we were in the car for a very long time. We slept, we woke, we slept, we  woke until we slept to be awoken by hard back slaps.
"muje, " went up in the air like a barrack siren.
All over, there were young boys of my kind, moving, some half-asleep and others, half-confused.
Finally, detecting a familiar face, I ran to Abdul.
....
" You take this container in your pocket and cover it with your hands. Do not remove your hands from the pocket except you get inside the gate, "he says.
I ask," What if my nose itches and I have to remove my hands to scratch my nose? "
" You lose the game and you lose the chance to find your mother again, " he replies.
Taking long strides towards the gate, I walk, hand in pocket. Just at the gate, an elderly woman asks me to help her lift her pot of Foorah to her head. I oblige. And as I move to carry the pot...
(the story ends. The pot, the dreams of finding mother again, Musa and a few others become a set of 'Use-to-bes')

SOME TIMES, THEY ARE UNAWARE THAT THEY ARE BEING USED FOR SOMETHING BIGGER THAN A GAME...

Comments

  1. Sad reality of the world we live in today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed. Thanks for taking time to read through

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Proud to be Incorruptible

 The beauty of being a woman comes in various shades. It is the pride of being ‘unbewitchable’ unlike the male gender. For a woman can never be conquered by juju or black magic, only a man can. Only a man can be bewitched to lose his senses and become ‘snatchable’ by another women who disconnects him from his wife.  This in turn births another strength of a woman, a woman can break such ‘bewitching’ locks through prayer! Glory! Yes! Only a woman can pray her spouse out of infidelity for men are a breed immune to the gift of prayer. So when a woman is unfaithful, society knows, society can tell, a man is not expected to pray his wife back to her marriage for two reasons. One, she cannot be bewitched by another man for she is immune to juju and two, men cannot pray. The absence of the ‘bewitchableness’ of a woman is sometimes called into question particularly at burials of husbands. Yes, we try to make exceptions for women. Only widows can kill their husbands to inherit their property, b

The Heartbroken Heartbreaker

It took me how long to write this? Probably a million years! This piece is long overdue! Ladies and gentlemen, especially ladies, please do not feel particularly attacked by this piece. I am trying very hard to be honest. Last night, I thought to myself what my response would be if people ever asked me if I've been heartbroken and before I knew it, I had a long speech about how unserious men can be and how women suffer as a result of this. Then it occurred to me that, in the real sense of things, I have never had my heart broken by anybody. Please, please, please, I am not forming wonder woman or holy than thou, it is the simple truth! I came to this realization because, I noticed that if there was ever a time that I felt terrible emotionally it was because of my own expectations and unrealistic guesses. I really don't like to write things about love and relationship and stuff because it gives my readers too much opportunity to get into my head and sometimes, imagine things

Tinotenda

Reintroduction, I am Binogun Winnie, daughter of God and your African sister both in mind and flesh. One thing though has not changed and that is the fact that I still have the intention of feeding you good literary food. Today, I will be posting the highlights of my interview with Tinotenda Mushore, granddaughter of Andrea Jacob Mushore. He was the first black millionaire when Zimbabwe was still called Rhodesia. Enjoy!! I'm Tinotenda Alexandra Anesu Mushore, from the Shona tribe born and partly raised in Harare.My grandmother (ambuya) is one of the few women who was encouraged by her husband to be a proactive member in the society. No matter the circumstance  they found themselves, they always gave back to their community and even till now my ambuya still runs an orphanage. My granddad (sekuru) had aloof properties that he would rent to people that were not always given the opportunity to start their own buisnesses. Despite all his efforts during the agitation for independ