Skip to main content

IT IS US THEY HAVE FORSAKEN

"What do you think you are doing?" I ask Fulerewa as she paces about.
"Thinking, if we leave the body here, nobody will know we are responsible, " She replies.
I walk over to it and poke the eyes with a broomstick to be sure it is lifeless.
"Let's just tell Yeye we did it, she will shield us from any harm, " I say.
Omahengwa has been silent the whole time and I forget that she is in the room until she speaks.
"Let's get out of here before we are caught. There is no blood on our hands, and nobody can claim to find our fingerprints here," Omahengwa says.
" I agree, " Fulerewa says, breathlessly.
Unable to find a better solution, I drop the broomstick and say,
"O da, we leave it here but this stays between the three of us. "
We leave the room and close the door behind us, behind our secret.
The next morning I am awoken by loud noises from people crying and arguing. I make my way out of the room and see Fulerewa and Yeye outside. I ask,
"What is happening?"
In feigned innocence Fulerewa replies,
" The goat is dead. Someone fed it the wrong leaves. "
Yeye cuts in,
" You know Pa may not make it. It took us sixteen days to get an all black she-goat with one ear and three legs for the sacrifice for his treatment. Now we have just twenty-four hours left to find another, else he dies. "
"It will be well, " Fulerewa says.
"I don't know, maybe the gods have forsaken Pa after all these years, " Yeye says.
I say, " it's not Pa they have forsaken, it is us. It is us, it is us. " 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Heartbroken Heartbreaker

It took me how long to write this? Probably a million years! This piece is long overdue! Ladies and gentlemen, especially ladies, please do not feel particularly attacked by this piece. I am trying very hard to be honest. Last night, I thought to myself what my response would be if people ever asked me if I've been heartbroken and before I knew it, I had a long speech about how unserious men can be and how women suffer as a result of this. Then it occurred to me that, in the real sense of things, I have never had my heart broken by anybody. Please, please, please, I am not forming wonder woman or holy than thou, it is the simple truth! I came to this realization because, I noticed that if there was ever a time that I felt terrible emotionally it was because of my own expectations and unrealistic guesses. I really don't like to write things about love and relationship and stuff because it gives my readers too much opportunity to get into my head and sometimes, imagine things ...

3 AM

I woke up at 3 am. This was the best time to do it and get on with life, it was a time without souls on the walkways, just the regular night guards who were now familiar with my work pattern. I woke up at 3 am. Got out of bed and breezed into my silk dress, no underwear. A risky thing to do, considering it improved my chances of getting raped, according to some people. I didn't care. Whoever wanted to rape would rape, with or without my underwear. I woke up at 3 am, got to the kitchen and opened the back door. There, it laid  as usual, in a black thrash bag. I motioned towards it, hesitating for a bit. But why, this was my usual responsinility. I had to clean up over them and get rid of every evidence. Somehow, I felt guilty, a part of the larger evil in the world. I woke up at 3 am, got the 'package' and slid out of the house. I monitored my footsteps closely to avoid noise. I monitored the air to taste for human presence though my nostrils. I monitored everything but ...

Friendly Enemies

Today,I will be focusing on five types of friends that we need to beware of.These are those who claim to be friends but are actually enemies. 1. ALWAYS ASKING NEVER GIVING.  Some friends have the habit of always asking for favours but when called upon for help, they always have the perfect excuse as to why they cannot help. Such people subtly send us the message that they are only hanging around us because of what they are benefitting from us. The moment you cannot help them, they leave! So, you need to let go.  2. ALWAYS RECEIVING NEVER APPRECIATING. When a friend never shows appreciation for gifts and favours, you need to be careful. It could be that the friend does not value you and your sacrifices. 3. ALWAYS COMPLAINING NEVER ENCOURAGING.  Do you have friends who do nothing but complain about how bad things always are? You need to beware. People who constantly complain and never encourage you are dangerous. They dampen your spirit, bring you down and fail to ...