Skip to main content

Eye Contact and Bread

There are certain people you really should not look in the eye. If you are Nigerian, you're probably thinking of older people, especially your parents. If you're not Nigerian, well, you may picture quite a wide range of people. For one, a liar. People often believe that liars or dishonest people find it difficult to maintain eye contact during conversations. Thus, when a person tries to avoid the gaze of another, it's very likely that the person is a crook!
But here I am, at Oshodi Bus Park, Waiting for the vehicle to move quick. I am completely in my right, paid my fare, occupying just the right passenger space and not playing a song from any unusually loud 'chinko'  phone.
Then, somebody moves me into the wrong.
"Aunty, buy bread. Sweet sweet bread. Aunty, buy bread na, " a seller insists.
First things first, I stiffen my neck. I ensure that it does not turn in any direction. You see, there's a kind of commitment you make to these people, when you look at their goods. It's worse when you look them in the eye. It is as though you're sealing the business deal spiritually between both parties before your physical body decides to buy. So, I stiffen my neck more. I pray she goes away. No, she stays. "Aunty, buy bred for yor fren dem na. Sweeet sweeeet bred."
I strengthen my resolve, no bread buying today. There are lots of breads to choose from when I get to Ibadan.
......
Her voice lowers, persistence drops. I assume she is gone. Dear Neck is tired by now. I release her. She has done a lot. Subconsciously, I look to my left. Bread Seller is still there. "Aunty, which one make I bring?" she says.
I get a little bit mad and make the wrong decision. I look her in the eye. Then, I get insight into the imagined stereotypes I have of roadside sellers. I reason, she must be a single mother trying to send her poor child to school. I look in her eyes again, they tell me I am right. They also say she is hungry. I realise, I have failed. Committed myself to buying something from her.
I open my purse, two dirty notes of 200 Naira, one slightly abused than the other. I realise that I cannot patronize her. I wave her off. Her eyes beckon once more, I wave her off. Just in time, the bus pulls away from the park, and moves.
I know, I know, I have betrayed another today. I should never have looked her in the eye. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Proud to be Incorruptible

 The beauty of being a woman comes in various shades. It is the pride of being ‘unbewitchable’ unlike the male gender. For a woman can never be conquered by juju or black magic, only a man can. Only a man can be bewitched to lose his senses and become ‘snatchable’ by another women who disconnects him from his wife.  This in turn births another strength of a woman, a woman can break such ‘bewitching’ locks through prayer! Glory! Yes! Only a woman can pray her spouse out of infidelity for men are a breed immune to the gift of prayer. So when a woman is unfaithful, society knows, society can tell, a man is not expected to pray his wife back to her marriage for two reasons. One, she cannot be bewitched by another man for she is immune to juju and two, men cannot pray. The absence of the ‘bewitchableness’ of a woman is sometimes called into question particularly at burials of husbands. Yes, we try to make exceptions for women. Only widows can kill their husbands to inherit their property, b

The Heartbroken Heartbreaker

It took me how long to write this? Probably a million years! This piece is long overdue! Ladies and gentlemen, especially ladies, please do not feel particularly attacked by this piece. I am trying very hard to be honest. Last night, I thought to myself what my response would be if people ever asked me if I've been heartbroken and before I knew it, I had a long speech about how unserious men can be and how women suffer as a result of this. Then it occurred to me that, in the real sense of things, I have never had my heart broken by anybody. Please, please, please, I am not forming wonder woman or holy than thou, it is the simple truth! I came to this realization because, I noticed that if there was ever a time that I felt terrible emotionally it was because of my own expectations and unrealistic guesses. I really don't like to write things about love and relationship and stuff because it gives my readers too much opportunity to get into my head and sometimes, imagine things

3 AM

I woke up at 3 am. This was the best time to do it and get on with life, it was a time without souls on the walkways, just the regular night guards who were now familiar with my work pattern. I woke up at 3 am. Got out of bed and breezed into my silk dress, no underwear. A risky thing to do, considering it improved my chances of getting raped, according to some people. I didn't care. Whoever wanted to rape would rape, with or without my underwear. I woke up at 3 am, got to the kitchen and opened the back door. There, it laid  as usual, in a black thrash bag. I motioned towards it, hesitating for a bit. But why, this was my usual responsinility. I had to clean up over them and get rid of every evidence. Somehow, I felt guilty, a part of the larger evil in the world. I woke up at 3 am, got the 'package' and slid out of the house. I monitored my footsteps closely to avoid noise. I monitored the air to taste for human presence though my nostrils. I monitored everything but